Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Disabled Hiker, ep-3, LIFE IS CHANGE pt 10

ALL ROADS LEAD HOME


A few weeks before heading out to film the narrative part of episode three, my mother was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. Although I had threatened to postpone my trip, my mother herself had urged me not to change my plans. Needless to say and although I tried to keep it hidden from the camera. It overshadowed everything I did.
Sadly, my mother lost her battle two weeks after I returned.

I don't know if she ever understood exactly what I was doing with the blog and hiking and the dogs and so forth. But if nothing else I somehow get the feeling she knew the peace I felt when I was out in the woods. And that even as a small boy she knew that that's where she would find me as that is where I belong.

From my mother, I received my musical talents. Just as from my father I received my love of engineering and invention. But as for where I got my love for the wilderness and living on the trail? ... 

I must admit, I think I left both my parents scratching their heads on that one. Why I would rather hike a wilderness trail and sleep on the ground over going to a fancy hotel on my vacations was always baffling to them. Even though it made perfect sense to me.

However if I've learned anything from my mother, it is to follow my own path. Even if that path is a lonely mountain trail.

And so I have dedicated this episode of The Disabled Hiker, Life Is Change, in honor of my mother, 
Elissa M. Craig.
Gods speed Mom.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment